The Indian Premier Tournament is a men’s Twenty20 cricket league in which eight teams from eight Indian cities compete. The BCCI Cricket Association thought of this idea of the IPL in 2007 under the direction of Lalit Modi. It is usually conducted between March and May each year and provides an opportunity for young athletes to shine and earn a spot to represent their country. The IPL is the most fascinating league not only in India but also in the world.
In addition, the IPL became the first game on the planet to be aired live on YouTube. It then began to broadcast on Hotstar. The IPL’s overall brand value has risen year after year as the calibre of players and competitive teams has improved. The IPL has been running for fourteen seasons, with Mumbai Indians winning five times and Chennai Super Kings winning four times. Due to the Covid Pandemic in 2021, BCCI postponed the IPL in the middle, and later games were played in Dubai. After defeating Kolkata Knight Riders, Chennai Super Kings won the trophy for the year 2021.
IPL AUCTION 2022
One of the key causes for the frenzy is the IPL 2022 super auction. Ahead of the IPL 2022 mega auction, teams were only allowed to keep four players. This permits teams to compete for the remaining in the auction. The mega auction is a huge help to teams looking to rebuild their rosters. The mega auction has grown even more intriguing since two new teams were added to the IPL’s list in 2022. Gujarat Titans and Lucknow SuperGiants will be the two new teams. KL Rahul will captain the Lucknow Supergiants and Hardik Pandya will be captain of Gujarat titans.
The IPL Mega Auction will be a two day event which will be in Bengaluru on feb 13 th and 14th. The previous eight franchises had to return the majority of their players to the auction pool, with only four players remaining/ retained. The two new franchises, on the other hand, have the opportunity to select three players from the auction pool ahead of time.
Purse Size for IPL auction 2022
A maximum purse balance of Rs. 90 crore provided to each of the ten franchisees. None of the franchises, on the other hand, will be going into the auction with a full bankroll. The cost of retaining players will be deducted from each team’s budget.Punjab Kings has a maximum amount of 72 crores after retention. On the other hand, Delhi Capitals will go to auction with the lowest amount of 47.5 crores after retention.
List of players retained ahead of IPL auction 2022
Royal Challengers Bangalore
Virat Kohli, an Indian batsman, signed a contract with Royal Challengers Bangalore for the 2022 season. Kohli retained for a sum of 15 crores, while Mohammed Siraj signed for 7 crores and Australia’s Glenn Maxwell signed for 11 crores. Prior to the Ipl auction in 2022, they have a balance of 57 crores.
Mumbai Indians retained the services of Indian batsman Rohit Sharma for the 2022 season. Rohit retained for a fee of 6 crore while his team also signed Jasprit Bumrah for 12 crores. Surya kumar Yadav for 8 crores. West Indies captain Pollard for 6 crores. Their remaining balance is 48 crores ahead of Ipl auction 2022
Kolkata Knight Riders
Kolkata Knight Riders retained the service of West Indies all rounder Andre Russell for 12 crores.The team also retained Sunil Narine for 6 crores.The other two players retained are Venkatesh Iyer and Varun Chakravarty for 8 crores each.Their remaining balance is 48 crores ahead of ipl auction 2022.
Chennai Super Kings
Mahendra Singh Dhoni, former Indian captain and batsman, signed a contract with Chennai Super Kings for the 2022 season. Dhoni retained for a sum of 12 crores, while Ravindra Jadeja signed for 16 crores and England’s Moeen Ali signed for 8 crores. Ruturaj Gaikwad retained for 6 crores Prior to the Ipl auction 2022, they have a balance of 48 crores.
Kane Williamson, Newzealand captain and batsman, signed a contract with SunRisers Hyderabad for the 2022 season. Williamson retained for a sum of 14 crores, while Abdul Samad signed for 4 crores and Umran Mallik signed for 4 crores. Prior to the IPL auction 2022, they have a balance of 68 crores.
Rishabh Pant, an Indian batsman and Wicket Keeper, signed a contract with Delhi Capitals for the 2022 season. Pant retained for a sum of 16 crores, while Axar Patel signed for 9 crores and Prithvi shaw signed for 7.50 crores. South African bowler Anrich Nortje signed for 6.5 crores. Prior to the Ipl auction 2022, they have a balance of 47.5 crores.
Mayank Agarwal , an Indian batsman, signed a contract with Punjab kings for the 2022 season. Agarwal retained for a sum of 12 crores, while Arshdeep Singh signed for 4 crores . Prior to the Ipl auction 2022, they have a balance of 72 crores.
Sanju Samson , an Indian batsman, signed a contract with Rajasthan Royals for the 2022 season. Samson retained for a sum of 14 crores, while Jos Butler signed for 10 crores and Yashasvi Jaiswal signed for 4 crores. Prior to the Ipl auction in 2022, they have a balance of 62 crores.
Lucknow Super Giants
KL Rahul, an Indian batsman, signed a contract with Lucknow Super Giants for the 2022 season. Rahul retained for a sum of 17 crores, while Marcus Stoinis signed for 9.2 crores and Ravi Bishnoi signed for 4 crores. Prior to the IPL auction in 2022, they have a balance of 58 crores.
Hardik Pandya, an Indian batsman and all rounder, signed a contract with Gujarat Titans for the 2022 season. Pandya retained for a sum of 15 crores, while Rashid Khan signed for 15 crores and Shubman Gill signed for 8 crores. Prior to the Ipl auction in 2022, they have a balance of 52 crores.
Base Price of Players in IPL Mega Auction 2022
For the ten IPL teams, a total of 370 Indian players and 220 international players would be available.INR 2 crore is the most expensive base price, followed by INR 1.5 crore and INR 1 crore. INR 50 lakh and INR 20 lakh are the remaining pricing ranges. In the Rs. 2 crore bracket, there are 17 Indian participants and 33 international players. In terms of the auction, the first players available to pick will be from the ‘Marquee List,’ which consists of ten cricketers. The 590 participants sorted into groups based on their base prices.
Top 8 Potential hotpicks in IPL mega auctions 2022Embed from Getty Images
- Quinton de Kock : Quinton de Kock of South Africa is one of the most exciting wicket-keeper batsman in the world, as well as a proven impact player in the IPL. De Kock became a consistent run-scorer in the IPL for Mumbai Indians after a near miss debut for Sunrisers Hyderabad in the 2013 edition.
- Pat Cummins : Pat Cummins of Australia is now one of the best fast bowlers in the world. He was just named Australia’s new Test captain, and he led the team to an Ashes victory. Cummins was the most expensive player in the IPL 2020 auctions, selling to Kolkata Knight Riders for Rs 15.5 crore (KKR).
- Kagiso Rabada : Rabada grabbed 30 wickets in 17 games during the 2020 IPL season. Rabada returned to the Capitals in 2021, when he took 15 wickets in as many games, but was released before the start of the 2022 season.
- Trent Boult : Trent Boult, who played for the Mumbai Indians in the last two seasons of the IPL, collected 38 wickets and was one of the top bowlers in the game during that time. Boult and Jasprit Bumrah created a dangerous pace-bowling tandem at Michigan. In fact, only two wickets separated Boult and his MI counterpart Bumrah in the 2020 season. With 27 wickets, Bumrah was the second-highest wicket-taker, while Boult was third with 25.
- Ishan Kishan : Ishan Kishan has scored 1452 runs at a terrific average of 28.47 in 61 IPL games. He is known for his power hitting and has hammered 74 sixes in his IPL career. In the 2020 season, he was the leading six-hitter. In the IPL, he has a strike rate of 136.34 and has scored runs at a rate of 136.34. Ishan has the potential to start a bidding war in the major auction and earn crores. His wicket-keeping is also good, and he can be a valuable asset to his team.
- Shreyas Iyer : The Indian middle-order batsman has been one of the team’s most prolific scorers in recent years, with 2020 being his greatest season with the Delhi Capitals. Shreyas led from the front as captain, scoring 519 runs and leading Delhi to the tournament final, where they lost to Mumbai Indians.
- David Warner : David Warner is definitely one of the greatest players in IPL history. He is also one of the highest run getters in T20 Cricket. had a bad previous season for his poor form and controversy, as SRH stripped him of his captaincy due to off-field issues. Prior to it, Warner had proven to be a great batsman in the recently concluded t20 world cup,He also has an experience leading SRH to their first title in 2016 after taking over in 2015.
- Jason Holder : The West Indian cricketer is now playing a white-ball series in India and is off to a good start. Jason Holder is extremely seasoned and is not new to a leadership role, despite not having had the most impactful IPL career to date. In his two seasons with Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL, the fast bowling all-rounder has taken 30 wickets and can also bat.He also took hattrick recently against England.
RCB , Punjab Kings and SRH — What they will be looking for in IPL Auction 2022
Royal Challengers Bengaluru are desperately looking for a captain as the former captain Virat Kohli quit the post of captaincy last year. There are many rumours on the question of Captaincy. Recently Akash Chopra in his youtube channel said that RCB can choose Shreyas Iyer as the captain after purchasing him for 20 crores. But it is not clear as of now regarding the players to be chosen by RCB in IPL auction 2022.
SunRisers Hyderabad, the champions of 2016 IPL are looking forward to choose some great openers. Last year after a debacle performance they are looking to rectify their mistakes.The main problem with sunrisers is their lack of proper batsman and middle order.So in this mega Auction they will be very enthusiast to choose some power hitters and consistent middle order batsman.
Punjab Kings are going to auction with the highest amount of money. As Mayank Agarwal is leading their team, they need an extra opener which they will be looking for. Since last few years Punjab trajectory is down so they look forward to put extra effort in IPL auction 2022 and gain some top class players.
Announced & Expected Captains after IPL 2022 Auction
- Royal Challengers Bengaluru : Glenn Maxwell or any other player depending on auction
- Mumbai Indians : Rohit Sharma
- Chennai Super Kings : Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Kolkata Knight Riders : Andre Russell or any other player depending on auction
- SunRisers Hyderabad : Kane Williamson
- Punjab Kings : Mayank Agarwal
- Delhi Capitals : Rishabh Pant
- Rajasthan Royals : Sanju Samson
- Lucknow SuperGiants : KL Rahul
- Gujarat Titans : Hardik Pandya.
Where can we watch the IPL Mega Auction?
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has also established specific instructions for the auction. The entire event will take place in a biosecure bubble, and all officials taking part in it will have to pass an RT-PCR test.
The IPL 2022 auction will begin on February 12 at 12:00 p.m. At 11:00 a.m., live coverage of the event will begin. The Star Sports Network will broadcast it live.You can also watch the auction on Disney+ Hotstar.
Hi there! I’m Akash. I was born and raised in Bengaluru, India. I am a freelance content writer and a blogger. I am currently a student studying at a prestigious law school in India. I am an avid reader and writer.