Today is the birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap who was a courageous son of Rajasthan, a famous warrior, and a symbol of outstanding heroism and fortitude. Maharana Pratap was born in Kumbhalgarh fort on May 9, 1540, according to the English calendar . However, a significant portion of Rajput society in Rajasthan commemorates his birthday on the Hindu calendar. Maharana Pratap’s mother had taught him how to fight for justice. On the occasion of birth anniversary we will show you some of the important events in the life of Maharana Pratap.
Interesting Facts about Maharana Pratap
- Maharana Pratap was born in a Rajput family on May 9, 1540. His father, Udai Singh II, was the founder of Udaipur and the 12th emperor of the Mewar dynasty. Pratap was the family’s eldest child, with three brothers and two sisters.
- Maharana Pratap is remembered for his military resistance to the Mughal Empire’s territorial expansion, as well as his pivotal involvement in the Battles of Haldighati and Dewar. He defeated Mughal Emperor Akbar three times In 1577, 1578, and 1579.
- The Maharana Pratap came face to face with Akbar’s massive army headed by Mansingh in the Battle of Haldighati. In this massive fight in 1576, Maharana Pratap and roughly 20,000 warriors faced 80 thousand Mughal soldiers. This is the most renowned war in the history of medieval India. In this battle, Pratap’s horse Chetak got hurt. The Mughals took Mewar, Chittor, Gogunda, Kumbhalgarh, and Udaipur after this war. Most Rajput monarchs became Mughal subjects, but Maharana never lost his sense of self-respect and fought till the end
- Many consider Maharana Pratap to be India’s first “original freedom fighter” since he stood up to the Mughals and fought heroically with Akbar’s army.
- Maharana Pratap sustained an injury while hunting in 1596 from which he never fully recovered. At the age of 57, he died in Chabad on January 19, 1597.
Read more of our Amazing Facts Articles.
Hi there! I’m Vishnu. I was born and raised in Delhi, India. I am a freelance content writer and a blogger. I am currently a student studying at a prestigious Business school in India. I am an avid reader and writer.