The 4th of March is designated as National Security Day to honour the accomplishments of India’s security forces. The day is also known as Rashtriya Suraksha Diwas, and it raises awareness about our security forces’ responsibility in keeping the country safe. Police officers, guards, military and paramilitary forces, commandos, and other personnel involved in defending India’s territorial integrity make up the country’s security forces.
The day also honours those security officers who have given their lives in the service of preserving our homeland. On National Security Day, a number of events are planned to highlight how India’s military have kept the country safe from both external and domestic threats.
History of National Security Day
The National Security Council (NSC) of India founded on March 4, 1966, by the Ministry of Labour under the Government of India. In 1972, the inaugural National Security Day (NSD) was held.
Interesting facts about our National Security Forces
- According to the Global Fire Power annual ranking 2022, India has the world’s fourth largest military, trailing only the United States, Russia, and China. The country is second only to China in terms of active military manpower. India has a total of 1,450,000 active military personnel. With a workforce of 1,155,000 people, the country is rated third in the world in terms of reserve personnel.
- The Indian Army has one of the last three horse-mounted cavalry units in the world. The 61st Cavalry, stationed in Jaipur, is preparing to replace its horses with T-72 tanks.
- At training centres such as the Indian Military Academy in Dehradun and the Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Vairengte, Mizoram, the Indian Army trains foreign armies from the United States, the United Kingdom, and Russia.
- The Gorkha regiment is one of the oldest regiments in the Indian Army. Its combat ability has impressed leaders all around the world.
- The Indian Air Force is the world’s fourth largest operational air force. The United States, China, and Russia are ahead of India. The Hindon Air Force Station, located in the city of Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh. It is Asia’s largest airbase.
Check out more of our Amazing Facts Articles.
Cricket & Tech Enthusiast. A Graduate in Statistics. Currently Managing this Website while working on the concepts of Stocks/Crypto Markets.