On May 24, 2022, World Schizophrenia Day will be observed. Schizophrenia is a mental condition that changes how the brain functions. This makes it difficult for a schizophrenia patient to feel, act, or think normally. They communicate to imaginary creatures and have hallucinations, which are the sensations of feeling, hearing, or seeing something that does not exist. Some schizophrenic patients recover entirely and improve, while others continue to suffer for years.
Conditions of Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia manifests itself at various ages, depending on gender. It often begins between the ages of 15 and 25 for men and 25 and 35 for women. It also affects males and women in about equal percentages. Schizophrenia in children, particularly those under the age of 18, is possible but uncommon. However, these are frequently quite serious instances. Early onset is associated with a more severe and difficult-to-treat illness.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia patients frequently struggle in society, at job, in education, and in relationships. They may appear fearful and detached, as if they have lost contact with reality. Some major symptoms are :
- The most prevalent delusion in patients with schizophrenia is hearing voices. The voices may make observations about the person’s actions, insult them, or issue directives.
- Making it difficult for the person to converse or hold a conversation by speaking in illogical sentences or using gibberish words.
- Rapidly shifting from one thought to the next with no evident or logical links between them.
- Lack of emotion or a restricted emotional range
- Rejection of family, friends, and social activities
Treatment for Schizophrenia
If schizophrenia symptoms are present, the doctor will conduct a thorough medical history and, in some cases, a physical examination. While there are no specific tests to diagnose schizophrenia, the doctor may perform a variety of procedures, including blood testing and brain imaging examinations.
Read more of our Health and Fitness Articles.
Hi there! I’m Akash. I was born and raised in Bengaluru, India. I am a freelance content writer and a blogger. I am currently a student studying at a prestigious law school in India. I am an avid reader and writer.